Thursday, July 11, 2013

Chaplin, Kelly & Jobs on Religion

It is funny that all three of these men were basically against organized religion.  Chaplin made light of it in the movie, The Pilgrim.  Gene was openly hostile toward organized religion for not helping the poor while keeping churches well funded.  Steve Jobs was not a religious man, but did become spiritual as he pondered his own death from cancer.  He said, 

Sometimes I believe in God, sometimes I don’t. I think it’s 50-50 maybe. But ever since I’ve had cancer, I’ve been thinking about it more. And I find myself believing a bit more. I kind of – maybe it’s ’cause I want to believe in an afterlife. That when you die, it doesn’t just all disappear. The wisdom you’ve accumulated. Somehow it lives on.’ Then he paused for a second and he said, ‘Yeah, but sometimes I think it’s just like an on-off switch. Click and you’re gone.' He said and paused again, and he said, 'And that’s why I don’t like putting on-off switches on Apple devices'."

What does it say about men who were in the stratosphere of talent and pure genius that also groups them as agnostics?  Is there something they know that the rest of us don't?  Or, are they simply so totally objective that they discount religion as an outdated primeval ritual?

Whatever the case, the best and brightest seem to fall into the same group.  

You be the judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on what you see and read here. Tell me what you like, dislike or want to know about these three men.